Crispy on the outside with a deliciously comforting creamy centre – this recipe is much easier to make than you might think. Inspired by childhood memories of chicken cordon bleu, the avocado proves a great alternative to a cheese filling, plus it is rich in potassium and loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids! Nutritional yeast flakes, a good source of B vitamins, help to add a slightly cheesy flavour to the crumb too. Great served with roasted sweet potato and salad.
Herby Crumbed Chicken with Avocado & Sun Dried Tomato filling (makes 4)
For the creamy avocado filling:
120g sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
100ml rapeseed oil
For the herb crumb:
120g corn tortilla chips
40g basil leaves
140ml rapeseed/olive Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
Black pepper to taste
4 skinless chicken breasts
- Blitz together all the ingredients for the creamy avocado filling in a food processor
- Take the chicken breasts and cut lengthways along one side of each breast to make a pocket for the filling. Be careful not the cut the whole way through
- Fill your chicken with the avocado paste. You should be left with just over half of the paste; smother this remaining mixture over the topside of each chicken breast. Place on a plate, cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for an hour or two. If you are pressed for time, don’t worry – just move on to the next step!
- Heat your oven to 180°C
- Take all the ingredients for the herb crumb and blitz together in a food processor until you get to a breadcrumb-like consistency
- Press the herb crumb onto the top side of each chicken breast (it should stick to the paste)
- Place the chicken on a lined tray and loosely cover with foil. Cook for 20 - 25 mins (depending on the size of your chicken breasts)
- Remove the foil and cook uncovered for the final 5 mins of cooking to crisp up the crumb.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
We'd love to see you trying this recipe at home! Share photos with us on Instagram (@wildchildkitchen) or Twitter (@wildchildktchn) using the tag #wildchildfoodies